The damages that you can collect for a truck accident depend on the specific losses that you have experienced. You may also collect damages for losses that you are likely to experience in the future.
Some of the damages that you may collect for a truck accident include:
- Lost income
- Lasting or permanent harm to your earning power
- Damage to your vehicle
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs to diagnose, treat, and rehabilitate your injuries
If you lost a loved one in a truck accident, a lawyer may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit on your behalf. A wrongful death lawsuit can help you collect damages for funeral costs, pain and suffering, your loved one’s lost income, loss of consortium, and more. Per the Legal Information Institute (LII), loss of consortium is when a person is deprived of the benefits of a family relationship.
For a free legal consultation, call (800) 747-3733
Every Accident Produces Different Losses
No two truck accidents are the same. Therefore, the losses that you experience from your truck accident may not be the same either. There are many factors involved in a truck accident that can affect the type and severity of damages, including:
- The weight of the truck that struck your vehicle
- The speed at which the truck was traveling when it struck your vehicle
- The specific dynamics of your collision
- The type of vehicle you were driving or occupying
- Whether the safety features of your vehicle deployed as intended
Popular Mechanics reports that the heaviest trucks may weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. The size and weight of the truck involved in your collision can determine how severe your damages are, along with many other factors.
A lawyer can review the facts of your accident, assess your damages, and calculate the amount of compensation that you should be entitled to.
Determining Liability in Truck Accidents
Perhaps just as important as the damages that you can collect for a truck accident is the question of who should compensate you for those damages. After reviewing all the available facts about your case, a lawyer can assign liability for the losses you have suffered to the parties who are responsible for your accident.
Multiple parties could be liable when a truck accident occurs. Some possible candidates for liability include:
- The truck driver
- The employer of the truck driver
- A part manufacturer whose product malfunctioned
- A municipality that allowed dangerous road conditions
Typically, a person or entity is liable if they were negligent in causing your truck accident. The American Bar Association explains that a negligent motorist:
- Does not specifically intend to cause harm
- Causes harm by acting in a way that puts you at foreseeable risk of injury or death
- May be financially accountable for the harm they are responsible for causing
Your lawyer will likely argue that as a victim of negligence, you deserve compensation for your losses.
Filing Your Truck Accident Claim or Lawsuit
Once a lawyer has determined who is liable for your accident-related losses and how much compensation you are entitled to, it is time to fight for justice.
A lawyer can file an insurance claim or lawsuit on your behalf and then manage the entire legal process. Some of the specific duties that your lawyer may perform include:
- Reviewing the scene of the accident
- Reviewing and collecting available evidence
- Speaking with witnesses who saw the accident
- Reconstructing your accident (possibly with help from accident reconstruction experts)
- Hiring other experts to participate in your claim or lawsuit
- Documenting your injuries and other losses
- Calculating the precise cost of your damages
- Filing any paperwork necessary to move your claim or lawsuit forward
- Negotiating a settlement
- Representing you in court
A lawyer can also defend your rights and protect you from unsavory tactics by insurance companies or attorneys who want you to settle for less compensation than you deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Today
At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, we provide responsive legal care for your personal injury needs. You can count on us to go the extra mile to fight for you after a truck accident.
Our team of lawyers is ready to work for you. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free consultation.