There are good reasons why you should hire a truck accident lawyer for a “minor” accident—or, at least, an accident that you initially believe is minor. It may turn out that your accident is not as minor as you initially think, as symptoms of injuries may only emerge as time passes after your accident.
Additionally, damage to your property could be more serious than it first appears, and having a lawyer on your side to deal with insurance and legal matters could be helpful.
For a free legal consultation, call (800) 747-3733
Certain Injuries May Have Slow-Emerging Symptoms
If you realize that you have not been injured in a way that is obviously serious, you may have the reaction that your accident was relatively mild. This may not always be the case.
Conditions such as traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) could leave you feeling relatively unscathed, but you could, in fact, have suffered a serious injury. According to the Mayo Clinic, a TBI:
- May cause serious symptoms that emerge as long as weeks after the event that causes the injury.
- Could cause both physical and psychological harm.
- Could be the result of a violent “jolt” to your head or body, which may come from a truck accident but not immediately produce signs of injury such as bleeding.
- May impair your thinking, produce various painful or uncomfortable symptoms, and could even lead to prolonged loss of consciousness and loss of coordination.
The brain is an essential and relatively fragile part of your body, and the idea that it could sustain injury from a relatively mild incident, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explains, makes it critical that you seek medical attention after your accident.
If any injuries that come from your truck accident turn out to have lasting consequences, then you may come to view your accident as severe rather than mild.
An Injury May Prevent You from Working
There are several scenarios that may unfold after a truck accident, which could warrant you hiring a lawyer to help. One scenario is that injuries suffered in your truck accident have lasting consequences, which may include preventing you from working as you normally do.
If you are unable to work in some capacity, then:
- You may lose all of your normal income.
- You may lose a portion of your normal income.
- You may have to seek employment in a new sector where your injury symptoms are accommodated.
- You may face high medical costs without your normal income to pay for your care.
Being unable to work may also have a negative psychological effect. Additionally, being unable to work because of physical or psychological symptoms of an injury could also suggest that you are unable to engage in other activities that you may value, such as regular exercise or other strenuous activities.
If you are not the one primarily responsible for the accident that caused your injuries, then you should consider hiring a truck accident lawyer, even for a minor accident. As explained, your accident may turn out to be major.
A Lawyer Will Pursue Coverage for Your Losses
You may find that, aside from the cost of your injuries, other issues arise because of a truck accident. The person who struck you may not have active insurance, could dispute the facts of your accident, or their insurance company may try to avoid paying you fairly for your losses.
A lawyer will be prepared to weather the unforeseen challenges that can come with an insurance claim or lawsuit after a truck accident. They will pursue the compensation that you deserve through the means that you both choose.
Some of the losses that your lawyer may be able to recover compensation for include:
- The costs associated with diagnosing and treating your injuries
- The cost of rehabilitation for your injuries
- The cost of temporary transportation if your vehicle must be repaired
- The cost of repairing your vehicle
- Your lost income
- Permanent or long-term harm to your earning power
- Pain and suffering
If your loved one passes away because of an accident that you initially believe to be mild, then your lawyer can pursue compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit.
A lawyer may provide value by handling all of the tasks necessary to complete a case for compensation, defending your rights, and serving as your advisor after a truck accident.
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Today
Whether you are unsure of what to do after a truck accident or you know that you would like to seek compensation for your losses, calling the team for a lawyer may be in your interest. A free consultation costs you nothing, and we can provide details about how we will go the extra mile for you or your loved one.
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free consultation.