If you submitted a claim to The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. for property damage and the claim was denied, there are options available to you to contest and appeal their decision.
You do not have to face this situation alone. Let a property claims lawyer serving Florida help investigate your claim and offer advice on the best way to move forward given your unique situation. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free consultation. We can protect your rights and ensure The Hartford provides the compensation to which you are entitled.
Reasons Why The Hartford and Other Insurance Companies May Deny Your Property Damage Claims
Your insurance company may come up with numerous reasons to deny your property claim or attempt to reduce the amount of compensation you are owed after a hurricane, another similar weather event, or a particularly damaging non-weather event. Your denial letter from The Hartford will state the reasons the insurance company relied upon as the basis of their decision. These reasons may include saying:
- The damage claimed existed before the hurricane hit.
- The damage was caused by a non-covered weather-related event. This is particularly common if you are claiming water damages from a burst pipe and The Hartford claims the damages were the result of flooding instead.
- The damages are less than what you are claiming or fall below your deductible.
- The claim was not filed correctly or was filed late.
- The loss being claimed is excluded from the policy, as is the case with antiques, jewelry, and other costly items.
- Your property had code violations that rendered your policy void.
- You have not met your deductible.
- You missed a premium payment.
Important Exemptions to Be Aware Of
Many homeowner policies have exclusions for certain types of damages. These typically require you to purchase additional, specialized insurance to receive coverage:
- Flooding: The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) typically provides flood insurance to homeowners in Florida. While your property insurance may cover damage caused by plumbing leaks, damage caused by weather-related flooding is not generally included in standard policies.
- Sub-limits: Certain property must be protected by additional riders and does not fall under the umbrella of a standard policy. Examples of items for which you may need a rider to include art, antiques, rings, and necklaces.
If you or a loved one received a denied Hartford property claim, our team may be able to help review your policy and ensure the insurance company acted appropriately. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1-800-747-3733 for a free, no-obligation consultation before the statute of limitations passes.
How We Can Help If The Hartford Insurance Denied Your Claim
We can help you review the policy you have and make it easier for you to understand the terms that insurance companies frequently use in their policies. We can also help you create a strong, effective appeal that supports your claim for compensation.
We Can Ensure Your Rights Are Being Protected
The Hartford is required to notify homeowners in Florida that it received your claim within 14 days of when you submitted it. After that, The Hartford has 30 days to inform you about your claim’s status. You should have a report within 90 days that either remits payment for your claim or explains why your claim was denied.
We can also assist you by:
- Reviewing your policy and your claim
- Negotiating with The Hartford directly
- Representing you in mediation or in court
- Managing all communications and paperwork
- Ensuring your deadlines are met and your forms are complete
- Keeping you up-to-date on all aspects of your case, while you focus on your family
We Can Get Started Today
You do not have to go through the hassle of appealing your denied Hartford property claim on your own. Let our team help by reviewing your policy, investigating The Hartford’s reasons for denying your claim, and collecting evidence to help support your claim for compensation.
We can help you collect before-and-after pictures and other evidence to demonstrate the extent and cause of your damages. We can also explore your insurance portfolio to see if you have supplemental insurance from other sources that might help cover some or all of the denied claim.
If you or a loved one are dealing with a denied Hartford property claim, or if you believe The Hartford Insurance violated your rights as a homeowner, we may be able to help. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free review of your insurance policy and guidance on the next steps that may be available to you.