If you’re wondering how hail damage claims work in Louisiana, consider these measures:
- Document your losses
- Prevent further damage from befalling your property
- Review your insurance policy
- Notify the insurance carrier
- Negotiate a settlement
You may consider legal aid if you can’t get the compensation you need from the liable policy. They can assess your situation, file your claim, and push for what you need.
You Must Follow Louisiana’s Insurance Claim Deadlines
You should notify your insurance carrier as soon as possible to file your hail damage claim. Your filing period generally depends on the date you discovered your home’s damage. Yet, you shouldn’t wait too long to file your case; you want compensation as soon as possible, and the insurer wants to process your claim immediately.
If you don’t file your case within the applicable period, you could lose the right to file an insurance claim. This could make you solely responsible for your losses.
For a free legal consultation 800-747-3733
How to File a Hail Damage Claim in Louisiana
If you’re interested in filing an insurance claim for your covered losses, you should:
Document Your Losses
Take photos and videos of your various losses, including damage to:
- Freestanding structures, such as sheds and pool houses
- Personal possessions
Having before-and-after photos could also bolster your claim. This would show the insurer the extent of your losses.
Protect Your Property from Further Harm
The insurance company will only cover losses related to the hailstorm, not damage that happened afterward. For instance, if your windshield was cracked in the storm, you could put a protective covering over it.
This would prevent infestations, water damage, and mold from damaging your car further. If you don’t, the insurance company might pay for the cost of repairing your windshield but not for the cost of secondary damage.
Review Your Insurance Policy
Before filing your claim, you want to understand everything your insurance policy covers. That way, if the claims adjuster says you don’t have coverage, you can correct the misunderstanding.
Notify Your Insurance Carrier
Even though you have a filing deadline, you shouldn’t wait until the night before to notify your insurer. You should tell your insurer about your property’s harm as soon as possible. You could do this by calling your insurer, sending an email, or filing a claim through a mobile app.
Negotiate a Settlement
The insurance company may return with an offer that doesn’t meet your needs. If that happens, you can negotiate a settlement to cover what you deserve. You can partner with a hailstorm damage lawyer who can do this for you.
How Much Is My Hail Damage Claim Worth?
Every hail damage claim has a different value. Your losses’ value will depend on many factors, including:
- The extent of the damage
- The types of insurance coverage you provided
- What measures you took to prevent further damage
- How long you’ve paid your premiums
- The insurer’s willingness to settle
When you partner with an attorney, they can assess your damages and estimate what you’re entitled to receive. Then, they can employ various measures to fight for that amount.
Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW
Considerations While Your Claim Is Pending
While you’re waiting to get the compensation you need, consider how these measures could help your case:
- Avoid working with out-of-network contractors. You might hire a contractor to address your property’s damage. Yet, if they’re not approved by your insurance carrier, you could end up paying for those losses out of pocket. Before hiring a contractor, check with your insurer to see if those services are covered.
- Refrain from sharing information to social media. Anything you share to social media can hurt your case. For instance, if the claims adjuster sees a post about previous damage to your property, they could use this information to devalue your settlement.
- Keep all correspondence between yourself and the insurer. One day, the insurer may offer to fully cover your losses. The next day, it might go back on its word. To hold the insurer accountable, keep records of all communications, including text messages and emails. When you talk to someone over the phone, get their name and contact information, too.
Do I Need a Lawyer to File Hail Damage Claims in Louisiana?
The law does not require you to work with a lawyer on your hail damage claim. However, in the aftermath of a serious weather event, you might want to focus on things aside from your legal matters.
A lawyer will do everything possible to recover the damages you need, from the cost of repairs to replacements. They also work on contingency, so you only pay their attorney’s fees if they resolve your claim.
Begin Your Free Case Review with Our Legal Team
Following a hail storm, the damage to your property can leave you in a tough financial position. You reasonably want all the help you can get to resolve your claim. The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can fight for what you need.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW