Typically, it is not possible to reopen a lawsuit after a settlement. Once you’ve accepted the offer and signed a release of liability, it marks:
- The end of your case
- The end of your ability to file suit against the defendant
However, you may be at the settlement stage, but you cannot agree on an amount and have not yet signed a liability release. A lawyer from our team could help you if you are in this situation.
When You Don’t Agree to the Settlement Terms
If you have been working through the insurance claim process and are considering accepting a settlement offer, you could be facing one more hurdle: a dispute over the terms of your liability release. However, you do not have to accept the offer and sign the release if you have concerns about the terms.
If you’ve been representing yourself in the case, you could now hire a lawyer to get advice and help you finalize the legal details. With a lawyer’s help, you may be able to file a lawsuit, present your case to a judge, and:
- Seek a revision of the release terms
- Back out of the settlement altogether
How You Know If You’re Getting a Fair Settlement Offer
You may be concerned about what happens after you accept a settlement offer. For instance, you may wonder:
- How to know if an insurer is making you a fair offer
- How to be sure you get enough compensation to account for future accident-related expenses
After all, once you’ve signed the liability release, you cannot go back and ask for more money.
We can Help You Calculate a Fair Value for Your Case
If someone else was at fault for your accident and injuries, your settlement offer could include compensation for all your accident-related costs and losses, such as:
- All medical costs
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
If you were in an auto accident, you may have to meet certain criteria to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. Even if you are unable to file a third-party liability claim and can only pursue compensation through your own Personal Injury Protection coverage (PIP), you could still recoup your medical costs up to your policy limits.
Don’t dismiss your chances of seeking full and fair compensation. We can examine the facts of your case and tell you what forms of compensation you may be able to seek and whether you could pursue a third-party liability claim.
When Your Costs and Losses are Greater Than the Initial Settlement Offer
You may be glad to have received an offer from an insurer. However, you may suspect that the insurer’s initial offer is far lower than your actual accident-related losses.
At this point, you may want to consider working with a lawyer from our team. We can help you assess whether this initial offer is fair and help you build a compelling case.
We can Help You with Every Step of Your Case
Whether you were just in an accident or are considering early settlement offers from the insurance company, you may benefit from legal advice, help with settlement negotiations, and more.
At our firm, we can:
- Gather compelling evidence of your injuries and losses
- Prove fault on the part of the other driver
- Help you understand what a fair settlement offer looks like in your case
- Handle all communications and negotiations with the insurance company for you
- Tell you about Florida’s no-fault insurance rules and whether you could step outside of those rules
- Help you comply with Florida’s statute of limitations, which restricts your timeline to file suit, per Florida Statutes §95.11(3)(a)
We can also help you determine your options if you do not agree to the terms of your settlement offer.
Why Our Firm?
At our firm, we are committed to representing injured people like you, not major insurance companies. You can expect to get your attorney’s phone number and get answers to all your questions.
Our past clients have commented:
- “…. went above and beyond all expectations … top notch service… successfully settling my case for me, and negotiating my medical bills… highly recommend them to anyone…” -Adam S.
- “Prompt and courteous answers to questions. Great communication… Phenomenal case results. A completely and thoroughly enjoyable legal experience from beginning to conclusion of my case.” -Jos. L
Call the Law Offices of Anidar & Levine Now to Learn Your Options for Free
A lawsuit typically cannot be reopened after the settlement is final, and you’ve signed a release, but we can help you think through your options.
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today for a free case review in which we will discuss the potential value of your case and what to expect in the legal process.