A slip and fall accident can result in significant injuries, thousands of dollars in medical expenses, and even prevent you from working. You may be frustrated, in pain, and worried about how you are going to pay your bills.
You do not have to face this alone. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident in Coconut Creek, FL, our legal team is here to help. Learn more about how a slip and fall lawyer in Coconut Creek from The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can make things easier for you by calling 1-800-747-3733 today. We can help you explore your legal options and may be able to help you recover damages for your injuries.
The Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries
Slip and fall accidents can happen in just about any public or private location and for a wide variety of reasons. The most common causes of slip and fall accidents are:
- Weather-related causes: Tracked-in snow or rain can cause customers to slip in a store. Improperly maintained sidewalks may have slick ice patches.
- Damaged floors, stairs, or walkways: Including torn carpet, loose floorboards, missing handrails, and broken stairs.
- Cluttered aisles or walkways: Trash, merchandise, equipment, and machines can block pathways and lead to trips, slips, and falls.
- Improperly maintained parking lots or sidewalks: Outside a building, people may trip and fall due to potholes, trenches, or gaps in sidewalks.
- Lack of lighting: You cannot avoid what you do not see. If the property owner failed to maintain a reasonable amount of lighting in a store, parking lot, or other location, you may be able to claim damages for your injuries.
If you or someone you love slipped and fell on another person’s property, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries. Call our legal team today at 1-800-747-3733 to discuss your case with a slip and fall lawyer in Coconut Creek, FL.
Proving Liability in a Slip and Fall Case
Property owners have a duty to maintain a reasonably safe environment for guests and customers. This is known as premises liability. When they fail to meet this requirement, they may be held liable for the damages that result.
To establish liability in a slip and fall case, we must prove the following elements.
- Duty of Care: We must prove the property owner, or another party, had a duty to maintain a reasonably safe environment. For example, if you visit a department store in the winter, you expect the store to place mats down to collect snow and place “Wet Floor” signs to warn customers.
- Breach of Duty: Next, we must show how the property owner failed in their duty of care. For example, if several people reported slipping near a door and the manager did nothing to address the problem.
- Proof of Damages: We must prove that due to their breach of duty, you were injured. For example, if you slipped on the slick floor and fractured a bone, you have suffered damages.
- Causation: Finally, we must prove the defendant’s breach of duty led to your injuries. Following the same example, this means showing your bone fracture was caused by your slip and fall accident.
Once we can establish these facets of your slip and fall case, we can work to recover damages for your injuries.
Damages You May Recover in a Slip and Fall Case
The details of every claim are unique, so we cannot give an estimate of damages that pertain to your specific case. Examples of the most common types of damages we see in slip and fall cases can be found below.
Medical Bills Related to Your Slip and Fall
You can often recover medical costs related to your accident. Damages usually cover doctor appointments, medical testing, surgeries, prescription medicines, and mobility devices. If you require long-term care in your home or a rehab facility, you can often recover those costs as well.
Lost Current and Future Wages
Medical bills may not be your only out-of-pocket costs. You may have missed work due to your inability to work or required medical procedures. You may be able to recover those missing paychecks.
In addition, if your accident compromises your ability to work, you may be able to recover the loss of future wages and benefits from work.
Pain and Suffering
Finally, you may be able to recover compensation for your pain and suffering, including mental anguish. A personal injury lawyer who understands how pain and suffering is calculated in Florida can help you navigate this complicated part of the process.
Contact a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Coconut Creek, FL
If you sustained injuries in a slip and fall accident, you do not have to face the legal process alone. A slip and fall lawyer in Coconut Creek, FL, can help you through the process.
When we take on your case, we will start investigating and gathering evidence about your injuries and how the accident occurred. We may talk to eyewitnesses, gather medical reports, take photos of the scene, and pull past incident reports at the same location.
Next, we will file a claim on your behalf. If we are unable to recover the compensation you deserve through settlement negotiations, we will not hesitate to take your case to court. Our legal team will be by your side each step of the way.
Contact The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 to learn more about your legal options.