St. Petersburg, Florida, is home to many trucking and shipping companies, transporting goods and keeping the supply chain moving. Their cargo trucks sometimes cause accidents, and if you’re a victim on a smaller vehicle, scooter, motorcycle, or bicycle, it can be fatal.
Cargo truck accidents present a challenge when pursuing compensation because it’s unclear who is liable for the damages. If you’ve been in a cargo truck accident, a St. Petersburg truck accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation for the pain and damages.
Most Common Reasons Behind Cargo Truck Accidents in St. Petersburg
Accidents are inevitable, and each side is quick to blame the other when they happen. Most of the time, the fault lies with the truck’s driver, but other factors can cause these collisions. The common causes of cargo truck accidents in St. Petersburg include:
- Poorly loaded cargo
- Faulty truck parts or poor maintenance
- Bad road conditions
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Fatigued driving
- Bad weather conditions
Liability for Injuries and Damages Following a Cargo Truck Accident
Cargo truck accident claims can be challenging for victims to file, especially when they don’t know who is liable. The truck driver may be at fault, but if they were driving for a company, their employer’s insurance policy could be responsible for covering the damages.
The possible liable parties in a cargo truck accident include the following:
- The truck’s driver
- The truck’s owner
- The cargo shipping company
- The state or local government if bad roads led to the accident
- The truck’s manufacturer if faulty truck parts caused the accident
- The mechanic responsible for truck servicing and maintenance
Is It Worth Hiring a Cargo Truck Accident Lawyer?
When you get involved in a cargo truck accident, you have two options: pursue compensation on your own, or hire a personal injury lawyer to handle all the legal aspects of your claim.
After suffering a cargo truck accident, the liable party’s insurance adjuster will probably try to contact you. The insurance company may also push you into accepting some responsibility for the accident, or offer you a low settlement. Working with a personal injury lawyer helps you avoid being taken advantage of.
We Can Calculate Your Compensation
It’s your legal right to receive compensation for injuries and damages caused by a negligent cargo truck driver or other parties. Although nothing can undo the pain and suffering that results after such an accident, receiving compensation for the following damages can support you during your recovery:
- Wrongful death
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Current and future medical costs
- Property damage and replacement or repair
- Loss of companionship when a loved one dies
- Loss of wages and salaries during recovery
- Reduced earning capacity due to a disability
- Mental Health Care
- In-home care
- Accommodations for a resulting disability
Our Team Can Investigate Your Claim
A cargo accident lawyer has the expertise to help you file a claim against negligent truck drivers or other liable parties. We offer professional legal assistance in the following ways:
- Help you identify the responsible party
- Handle negotiations with the insurance company
- Obtain accident report from the police
- Interview eyewitnesses
- Review footage from nearby CCTV cameras
- Collect and review your medical report
- Value your suffering and economic damages
- Visit the accident scene to build a compelling case against the negligent party
What Will My Cargo Truck Accident Lawyer Look for in My Claim?
When you hire a personal injury attorney, we examine the following:
- The cause of the accident and the liable party
- The severity of your injuries
- The extent of property damage
- The estimated economic value of the case
- If you’ve spoken to an insurance adjuster
Do All Cargo Truck Accident Claims Result in a Settlement?
No. Although compensation for damages after a cargo truck accident is your right, not all claims end in a settlement. You need to present a solid case and provide adequate evidence. For a case to be successful, it needs to fulfill the following conditions:
- Prove beyond reasonable doubt that the injuries and damages resulted from the other party’s negligence
- Show how the other party was negligent
- File the lawsuit on time and follow the requirements of Florida law
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim in St. Petersburg Following a Cargo Truck Accident?
The statute of limitations (or the period of time you have to file a lawsuit) for personal injury in Florida is four years. If you file the claim after this period has elapsed, you may lose your right to receive any compensation. At the Law Offices of Anidjar and Levine, our personal injury lawyers will file the claim within the stipulated time.
Why Should I Choose the Law Offices of Anidjar and Levine?
We understand the days following a truck accident can be overwhelming. You may be a family member mourning the wrongful death of a loved one. Or maybe you suffered severe injuries and property damage. We go the extra mile and provide responsive legal care by:
- Giving you your attorney’s phone number for personalized support throughout the process
- Answering your calls and responding to emails, keeping you updated
- Helping you schedule your appointments with the insurance company, court, and other parties
- Preparing you for and representing you in court (if necessary)
- Offering a no-risk payment option. Our contingency basis means you only pay us if we settle or win the case
Call Today for Your Free Consultation
At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, we’ve worked with hundreds of truck accident victims to pursue compensation from the liable parties. And we’ve recovered the settlements they deserve.
We Can Help.