The legal repercussions of a Lyft accident can become complicated. Dealing with insurance providers, determining your damages, and navigating the car accident claims process contribute to more stress during an already difficult time.
However, a Lyft accident lawyer in Spring Hill can help you figure out what to do next. The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can help you recover from the devastating effects of a rideshare accident and maintain your family’s financial health.
For a free legal consultation with a lyft accidents lawyer serving Spring Hill, call (800) 747-3733
Lyft Insurance Coverage
Lyft car accident claims often involve complicated questions of liability. However, knowing how and when Lyft insurance plans cover you in an accident is crucial. Here is a quick rundown of how Lyft’s policy works.
App Is Off
When the driver has the app switched off, Lyft does not cover an accident. Instead, the driver is only covered by their car insurance.
App Is On, And Driver Awaits A Drive Request
When the driver has turned on the app and waits for a ride request, the following third-party liability insurance from Lyft applies in this situation:
- For bodily harm, each person is entitled to $50,000
- For physical injuries, each accident is worth $100,000
- Property damage liability is $25,000 per accident
App Turned On, And Driver Is Picking Up Or Driving Passengers
When the driver has turned on the app and becomes involved in an accident while picking up passengers or during a ride, Lyft provides the following coverage:
- $1,000,000 in third-party auto liability insurance
- Uninsured or underinsured driver coverage for personal harm or property damage
- Comprehensive and collision coverage
Spring Hill Lyft Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 747-3733
When Can I Sue A Lyft Driver For The Collision?
Due to Florida’s no-fault policy, you must first submit a claim with your insurance, even if the Lyft driver caused the accident. Florida Statutes § 627.736 requires all drivers to carry personal injury protection insurance. Personal injury protection covers up to $10,000 in accident-related expenses.
You could submit a claim against the Lyft driver or use Lyft’s third-party liability insurance if your insurance does not cover all your expenses. In addition, you can file a claim against Lyft or the Lyft driver’s insurance if you suffered serious injuries in the accident.
Serious Injuries Under Florida Law
You can only pursue an accident claim against a Lyft driver if your injuries meet specific criteria under Florida law. Serious injuries include:
- Significant and permanent loss of a vital bodily function
- Permanent injury
- Significant and permanent scarring or disfigurement
You can expect the insurance company to fight your claim that you’ve sustained a serious injury. However, our Lyft accident lawyers serving Spring Hill will prove your injuries meet this threshold and fight for compensation that covers your mounting medical bills.
Is It Possible To Sue Lyft?
You might find it challenging to pursue a case against Lyft because rather than its drivers being categorized as employees, the law considers them as independent contractors. As a result, courts rarely hold Lyft accountable for an accident caused by an independent contractor, especially in a no-fault jurisdiction.
However, Lyft drivers must meet specific requirements in Spring Hill to drive for the company. Therefore, you could hold Lyft responsible for your collision if it employed someone who did not meet the criteria.
What are The Requirements For Lyft Drivers in Florida?
To work as a Lyft driver in Florida, you must meet the following requirements:
- Possess a current driver’s license
- Be at least 25 years old
- Pass a driver screening
- Own a smartphone
The Lyft driver’s car must also meet the following requirements:
- Have four or more doors
- It must fit five to eight passengers, including the driver
- It cannot be a cab or limousine
- It must not have a salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt, or any other similar category of title
- It must be model year 2010 or newer
Our Spring Hill Lyft accident attorneys can investigate the Lyft driver to determine whether they fulfilled these requirements.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
When Do You Have To File A Lyft Accident Claim?
Florida Statutes § 95.11 limits you to four years to file a Lyft accident injury lawsuit. However, some exceptions could apply that increase or decrease how much time you have. Your personal injury lawyer can determine if an exception applies to your claim.
What To Do After A Lyft Accident In Spring Hill
After a crash involving a Lyft vehicle, the steps to take mirror those you’d take after any car accident. Our team suggests that you:
- Check for injuries: Make sure neither you nor anybody else sustained injuries. In addition, if you were hurt after a Lyft collision, seek medical help right away—even if your symptoms don’t manifest for several days. Otherwise, besides the effect that failing to see your doctor could have on your health, it could also negatively affect your insurance claim or lawsuit.
- File an accident report: If a police officer does not respond to the scene and file a police report, Florida law requires you to file an accident report if anyone suffered an injury or sustained more than $500 in property damage. A well-documented accident report can assist you with your claim.
- Keep records of the incident: Gather information from everyone involved in the crash, including their names, phone numbers, and insurance information. Also, speak to witnesses and take detailed notes and photos of the scene.
- Contact Lyft: You should contact Lyft’s Claims Customer Care team if you or anyone else sustained an injury following a Lyft accident.
- Speak with a Lyft accident lawyer: Finally, an experienced Lyft accident attorney can assist you with gathering vital documentation throughout the claims process. During your initial consultation, you can discuss your situation and determine whether you have a compelling case against the driver, Lyft, or the insurance company.
The Law Offices Of Anidjar & Levine Can Assist You If You Have Been Injured In A Lyft Accident
We offer you timely legal assistance as you recover from your injuries. For example, we can deal with insurance providers and seek compensation that keeps your losses from destroying your family’s finances.
So, do you require legal assistance from a Spring Hill Lyft accident lawyer? Contact our team today to get started.