A car accident lawyer can help if you got hurt in a crash in Alafaya, Florida. We thoroughly investigate all the car accident cases we handle. We gather the evidence to build and prove your case. Also, we work directly with the insurance company so that you do not have to. We provide personal, responsive legal services to our clients.
Call an Alafaya car accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1 (800) 747-3733. The initial consultation is free, and there is no obligation.
The Factors of Negligence in Alafaya, Florida Car Accident Claims
We cannot simply sue everyone who was in the crash. We have to establish whose carelessness caused the accident that injured you. We must prove all of these factors to determine who is at fault and responsible for your losses:
- Duty of care. The person we go after for money damages (the defendant) must have owed you a duty of care. It is an easy matter to show this element of liability because everyone who operates a motor vehicle on a public roadway has a duty to drive safely and obey the law.
- Breach of duty. The defendant must have failed to live up to the standard of their legal duty. Let’s say that the at-fault driver was driving while under the influence. Operating a car in that condition violates the law and the duty of care, so the driver was negligent.
- Causation. The negligent act must be the cause of the accident and your injuries. If the inebriated defendant ran a red light and t-boned your car, his careless conduct caused the wreck that hurt you.
- Measurable damages. You must have quantifiable losses to go after financial compensation in a personal injury claim from a car accident. Physical harm satisfies this element of liability.
This scenario satisfies all the requirements of liability for the car accident.
Damages in Alafaya, FL Car Accidents
We cannot say how much you might receive in money damages until we talk with you and investigate your situation. Many different factors go into calculating compensation. Every claim is unique. Your injuries might be more severe than someone else who was in your car.
Some of the common types of damages in car accident injury claims include:
- Lost wages. Getting hurt in a wreck can cause you to miss time from work. If you did not receive paychecks while recuperating from your injuries, you can include this loss in your claim. This category can include wages, salary, self-employment, and other forms of income.
- Diminished earning potential. Severe injuries can cause you to have to take a lower-paying job or work fewer hours even after you recuperate. This item tries to compensate you for the decrease in your earning capacity.
- Disability. Some people cannot work at all to support themselves after an accident, especially after a devastating injury like spinal cord damage.
- Medical expenses. You can seek compensation for the reasonable cost of the medical treatment you needed for your injuries. This category can include things like the ambulance, emergency room, hospital, doctors, diagnostic testing, prescription drugs, physical therapy, and surgery.
- Rehabilitation. People who suffer catastrophic harm like head trauma might need extended treatment in a specialized care facility.
- Long-term care. The costs of ongoing daily assistance with medical treatment and personal tasks can be astronomical, whether the care takes place in a long-term care center or you receive in-home healthcare.
- Pain and suffering. This form of loss addresses the physical discomfort and mental distress you experienced.
- Other intangible losses. You might be eligible for additional financial damages for things like disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Wrongful death. If your close relative died in a car accident in Alafaya, Florida, we might be able to pursue additional compensation for the legal beneficiaries.
Your injury claim might involve several of these types of damages.
Three Things to Do After a Car Crash
If you take the right steps after a car accident, you can protect your health and the value of your claim for financial damages. Every situation is different, and you should do what makes sense in your circumstances. Here are some things you should do after a motor vehicle accident in Alafaya, FL:
- Get medical attention. You should seek professional treatment for your injuries right away. You might have additional injuries that have not yet become apparent. Your medical records will link the crash to your injuries.
- Talk to a lawyer. A lawyer can help you avoid mistakes, like missing deadlines, that could destroy your claim to compensation.
- Finish your medical treatment. If you let the last few physical therapy appointments slide, for example, you could be giving the other side an argument to devalue your claim. The defendant could allege that you would have recuperated better if you had finished all of your prescribed medical treatment.
An Alafaya car accident lawyer can help you navigate through the claims process while preserving the value of your action for financial damages.
Three Things That Could Hurt Your Injury Claim
Be sure to avoid these three things after the accident:
- Talking to people at the scene. People often express compassion to each other at the scene of an accident while waiting for help to arrive. The other drivers can twist your words and allege that you admitted fault when you were simply being kind. Do not chitchat with anyone at the scene. Give your official report to the police and do not invite the opportunity to be misrepresented by the other driver involved in the accident.
- Posting on social media. You should not post any comments or photos about the accident or the other people involved in the wreck. Just like the conversations at the scene, a defense lawyer can use your words and images against you.
- Taking on the insurance company by yourself. The insurance company has teams of claims adjusters, investigators, and lawyers all working to decrease the settlement value of your injury claim. You do not have to work with a lawyer, but doing so can protect you from the tactics that the insurers use against injured people.
Protect the value of your personal injury claim. Do not give the defendant anything to use against you.
How a Lawyer Can Help with Your Alafaya, FL Car Accident Injury Claim
Once you get a lawyer to handle your injury claim, the insurance company is not allowed to harass you. We will stand between you and the adjuster. We can negotiate for a settlement of your case. If the insurer refuses to pay a fair amount for your injuries, we can file a lawsuit on your behalf.
You can devote your time and attention to getting better and leave the rest to your Alafaya car accident lawyer. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1 (800) 747-3733 today to get started before the statute of limitations under Florida law passes. The consultation is free.